ARCHIVES, AUTHORS, SUBSCRIBE Feedburner 

Mandala, Parts I-VI

Fred

I.
I stand up, brush the earth and grass and sunshine
from my knees. If only we could see the stars
at midday, if only the galaxy mixed with the spires of pine
of this forest, tar
mixed with salt and the venom of time.
I can feel the breeze tracing out its rivulets.

II.
The world, the whole world, is laid out in this garden
Everything important to me is here
the cracks in the slate paths, fallen leaves, hardened
and rattling, the ants in their stupid, ragged lines,
the crumbling bark and the itinerant birds
calling their intertwined destinies to each other.

III.
I have decided that my room does not want to be a room
anymore. Each wall is shot through with tiny fissures
I can hear the beams folding themselves like limbs.
I've begun to prepare a pyre in the center of the floor:
(ordinary things, nothing bold) orphan socks,
spent bottles, copies of some books I am better off without.

IV.
I can only recall disjoint bones of our conversations now.
I've picked them over
all the sinew and flesh is gone from them
I can't even remember what the skeleton looked like, 
assembled. It's the kind of thing that I wake up thinking
about, wondering if I dreamt about it.

V.
They fought all the wars already, our ancestors
did. There's nothing left for us to raise arms over.
Their battlefields are parks and museums, our schools
bear the names of old warriors and older murderers.
The swords are not plowshares exactly, 
but they are rusted and useless. I abandoned them long ago.

VI.
I learned when I was young
that everything can be a solemn ritual,
letting my blood drip from my mouth,
tasting the dew before it binds itself to the ground,
the morning itself,
cold and crystal and silent.

Labels:

4/19/2009 10:51:00 PM



ARCHIVES
July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009

top


AUTHORS
Fred (premature academic)
Dalia (not afraid of nothing)
Drew (sub-creator)
Ryan (tangling futures)
Daisy (tap the sun)
Matt (two-line king)
Nick (rats and wreckage)

top